Saturday, June 11, 2005

OK, I did it! I smite the evil devil of UNequal rights

Yesterday I incurred the wrath of a co-worker.

I am guilty. She asked me to lift a large tub of beer on ice, and I responded that "being a firm believer in equality, I would be unable to do that for her, without compromising my principles".

Before the stuff hit the fan, and in front of the stunned sheep look I got, I asked my (male) colleague standing nearby if he perhaps would do it.

Silence..........sweet silence.

Working at the supposedly progressive "world's largest software company", but as a temp, and telling a new blue badge (REAL employee) I wasn't gonna tote that bale for her made me sad.

But, it had to be done. Not the first time I had been asked to do such duty, but the first time I refused. Now, lest you think the Geezer is some horse's patoot, I want you to know if she would have asked me to HELP her by taking one end of the tub to lift, or claimed some real or imaginary need for accommodation, I would have done it joyfully. But I have four years good, well reviewed, experience working there. I applied for her job. She got the job, with no MS experience. I didn't. Fine by me. Their loss.

But I would expect the successful candidate to have the ability to do all facets of the job, and at MS, lifting full tubs of iced beer on Fridays is a BFOQ. (Bona Fide Occupational Qualification, for those who don't know the term)

So, lets see what next week brings. This could be fun. What they gonna do, fire me? I was looking for a job when I found this one.

I prefer to influence efficiently, wholesale, not retail like this example, but I commend all of you to rise up, and meet the enemy of the stronger, disposable man, by refusing to do the grunt work of those who want equality in the workplace, but only when it works to their advantage.

The Geezer

4 Comments:

Blogger Tom Swanson said...

I'm so proud of you! It's hard to deprogram yourself, and stand your ground if you weren't raised like that.
If she wants to get past their imaginary glass ceiling she dawm well better start working for it.

Reminds me of the other day when I was walking out of the grocery store. A fat lady began to follow behind me with her cart as I opened the door. She could just have easily went through the electric doors beside me, but no. . .? I can't tell you the joy I felt when that door slammed on her cart behind me.BAM! :)
It took everything I had to keep a straight face until I got to the car.
The arrogance of her to presume that I'm her personal doorman? I know some will think I'm cruel, but think about it. . .if I hadn't gone to the store that day she would've been opening her own door anyways.
If the little ladies want all this equality they rant about, then let'em have it!

6/11/2005 10:03:00 PM  
Blogger One man said...

I have never seen a female garbage collector. Could this be due to the secret desire of the Patriarchy to maintain one last bastion for manhood? I have never seen a woman clean a honey bucket either...hmm...maybe there is a secret society of men that conspire to keep women out of these jobs.

6/12/2005 01:30:00 AM  
Blogger Tom Swanson said...

I thought you knew?(wink,wink,knod,knod)


Women must be the Eloi, and men are the Morlocks. It's our fate to slave away. . .

6/12/2005 04:56:00 PM  
Blogger Iguana said...

Good for you, Geezer!

Stop holding doors too. I'm tired of Seattle women walking up to a door and expecting that I am going to let them walk through before me.

6/12/2005 11:55:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Main